We’re all guilty of using our phones or laptops before bed, just to respond to that one last email or watch one last Youtube Video before dozing off. But have you ever wondered how this might actually be affecting you negatively instead of positively?
- You may be wondering how the usage of mobile phones and laptops before bed affects our sleep. Well this can stifle the production of a very important sleep inducing hormone called melatonin (Melatonin is made to help you feel tired and ready for sleep in the evening). In turn decreasing the feelings of sleepiness, which is the last thing you want when trying to wind down for the day. This happens through the emission of blue light, which is a short wavelength enriched light.
In the long run, it can also reduce the quality of sleep thus affecting the two most important stages of sleep that are crucial for cognitive functioning or in short everyday behavior and social behavior.
- This can also increase the amount of time it takes for you to fall asleep , which can shorten the amount of vital beauty sleep you need to get on with the rest of your day without feeling groggy.
How can you improve your quality of sleep?
- Decreasing the usage of screen time throughout the entire day can be particularly helpful in improving the quality of your sleep. You can do this by allocating daily time limits to spend on your devices throughout the day.
- Set up a calm bedtime routine before dozing off. This should not include activities involving devices with screens but rather activities that are relaxing such as reading a book, journaling and meditation before sleep to help you wind down for the day.
- Use nighttime mode when using devices with screens. This can be effective in reducing blue light emissions in addition to reducing the display’s brightness settings.